Islet of Langerhans| Pig | Japan
1. Contact address(Person who provides information. This information will be treated confidentially)?
First Name: Shinichi
Last Name: Matsumoto
Address: 115 Kuguhara, Tateiwa, Muya-cho, Naruto, Tokushima
Institution: Otsuka Pharmaceutical Factory, Inc.
2. What is the source of your information about human xenotransplantation practices?
3. What is the therapeutic purpose of this xenotransplantation treatment?
4. Where and when is this human xenotransplantation practice taking place?
Country: New Zeland
5. Is this treatment part of a clinical trial?
6. How many patients are included in this clinical trial?
7. What are the inclusion criteria for patient selection?
i. Duration on the waiting list? Unknown
ii. Life-threatening diseases without alternative therapy? Unknown
iii. Is a protocol available? Yes
8. What is the animal source of the xenotransplantation product?
Do you have information about source animals?
– Geographic origin?
– Species? Auckland Island Pig
– Where were the source animals kept? Pathogen-free facility
– Was it a closed facility? Yes
Under what type of husbandry conditions?
a) Quarantine period. No
b) Presence of other animals of the same or different species. No
c) Sentinel animal program. No
d) Veterinary care. No
e) Drugs administered No
f) Vaccinations No
g) Genetic modification of source: transgenic source animals or knock-out source animals? Other precautions:
10. Testing of safety
Do you have information about testing of safety?
11. What type of cells/tissues/organs was transplanted?
Cells: Islet of Langerhans
12.What type of exposure to xenogeneic cells was involved?
- Solid-organ Xenotransplantation: No
- Cellular Xenotransplantation: Yes
- Tissue Xenotransplantation: No
- Human cells exposed to xenogeneic Feeder cells: No
- Extracorporeal perfusion: No
- Encapsulation: No
- Other bioartificial isolation device:
Do you have information about transplant recipients?
How are the transplant recipients being monitored for infections? Unknown Which microbial agents have been tested in transplant recipients? Unknown Has this microbiological testing been done by a registered laboratory? Unknown if yes, which? if not, by whom? What testing methods were used? What samples are taken and how often? For how long will they be taken? For how long will they be store? How often is the patient seen for follow-up How long are the patients followed? 1 year Location of the clinical follow-up examination? In the same clinic? if yes, which? if not, where?
14. Have results been presented at a scientific congress?
if yes, where?
15. Have results been published in a scientific journal?
if yes, Where?
Transplantation Proceedings, 46, 1992e1995 (2014)
16. Is this human clinical trial performed with governmental and/or institutional oversight and supervision?
17. Was the trial approved by a public health authorities(ministry of health, governmental agency…)?
New Zealand Ministery of Health
18.Was the trial overseen by a public health authorities(ministry of health, governmental agency…)?
if yes, which?