Islets of Langerhans | Pig | New Zealand
1. Contact address(Person who provides information. This information will be treated confidentially)?
First Name: Robert Bartlett
Last Name: Elliott
Address: PO Box 23566 Hunters Conrner
State: Manukau, Auckland
Country: New Zealand
Institution: Living Cell Technologies
Telephone: +61 3 9813 5501
2. What is the source of your information about human xenotransplantation practices?
3. What is the therapeutic purpose of this xenotransplantation treatment?
4. Where and when is this human xenotransplantation practice taking place?
Country: New Zealand
Timing: Not available
5. Is this treatment part of a clinical trial?
6. How many patients are included in this clinical trial?
7. What are the inclusion criteria for patient selection?
i. Duration on the waiting list? Unknown
ii. Life-threatening diseases without alternative therapy? No
iii. Is a protocol available? No
8. What is the animal source of the xenotransplantation product?
Do you have information about source animals?
10. Testing of safety
Do you have information about testing of safety?
11. What type of cells/tissues/organs was transplanted?
Cells: Islets of Langerhans
12.What type of exposure to xenogeneic cells was involved?
- Solid-organ Xenotransplantation: No
- Cellular Xenotransplantation: Yes
- Tissue Xenotransplantation: No
- Human cells exposed to xenogeneic Feeder cells: No
- Extracorporeal perfusion: No
- Encapsulation: Yes
- Other bioartificial isolation device:
Do you have information about transplant recipients?
How are the transplant recipients being monitored for infections? Blood plasma and peripheral blood marrow cells Which microbial agents have been tested in transplant recipients? PERV Has this microbiological testing been done by a registered laboratory? Unknown if yes, which? if not, by whom? What testing methods were used? PCR What samples are taken and how often? For how long will they be store? How often is the patient seen for follow-up How long are the patients followed? 9 Years Location of the clinical follow-up examination? In the same clinic? Unknown if yes, which? if not, where?
14. Have results been presented at a scientific congress?
if yes, where?
10th Congress of the International Pancreas and Islet Transplantation Association in Geneva 2005. Elliot RB et al. Long term survival of alginate encapsulated piglet islets in a patient with type 1 diabetes (abstract OP-056)
15. Have results been published in a scientific journal?
if yes, Where?
Elliott RB et al. No evidence of infection with porcine and igneous retrovirus in recipients of encapsulated porcine islet xenografts. Cell Transplant 2000; 9:895-901
16. Is this human clinical trial performed with governmental and/or institutional oversight and supervision?
Living Cell Technologies have two office: one in Australia and the other in New Zealand